World Cancer Day is celebrated every year on 4th of February. This year marks the 19th anniversary and the launch of the 3-year ‘I Am and I Will’ campaign.
Global Cancer Facts
· Every minute, 17 people worldwide lose their battle to cancer - that’s over 24,000 people every single day. That’s more deaths than HIV, TB & Malaria combined.
· Cancer is the second-leading cause of death worldwide.
· 70% of cancer deaths occur in low-to-middle income countries.
· At least 1/3 of cancers are preventable.
· An estimate 70% of cervical cancers are caused by Human papillomavirus (HPV).
Kenyan Cancer Facts
· Cancer is the 3rd highest cause of morbidity in Kenya – after infectious diseases and cardiovascular (heart) disease.
· There are close to 48,000 new cases of Cancer each year in Kenya with more than 32,000 deaths annually. 56% of these new cases and of the deaths are in women.
· 60% of Kenyans affected by Cancer are younger than 70 years of age.
· 70-80% of cancer cases are diagnosed in late stages
· 1 in 10 children survive cancer in Kenya – this is compared to 7 in 10 in the developed countries
Whoever you are and wherever you are, you have the power to reduce the impact of cancer for yourself, the people you love and for the world. Play your role in the fight through:
1. Screening and early detection – cancer detected early often makes it easier to treat.
2. Healthy eating – eating a well-balanced diet and avoiding diets high in red & processed meats, salted foods and low in fruits and vegetables.
3. Physical activity – at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week.
4. Quit smoking – tobacco use is responsible for around 22% of cancer deaths.
5. Early treatment of infections.
6. Reduce pollution & exposure to other carcinogens.
7. Use x-rays and other radiation sparingly – including not microwaving food in plastic containers
‘I Am and I Will’ is an empowering call-to-action urging for personal commitment and represents the power of individual action taken now to impact the future.
Have a Cancer Aware Month :-)